Our separation lawyers (divorce lawyers) know that family separation is difficult. And it becomes more complex if there are children and substantial amount of assets are involved.

The main family law question we receive:

I’ve separated from my partner… what now?

Family law can be quite complex and the experiences that different couples go through are unique.

Whilst it is important to surround yourself with the support of friends and family at this time, the specialized knowledge and experience of our family law team can save you the headache of an untimely or poorly informed decision.

What do I need to do?

  1. Avoid making large withdrawals of funds or transfers of property, whether jointly or separately owned by you and your partner. It is fine to withdraw amounts that are necessary for normal day to day living expenses.
  2. Contact your bank and block large withdrawals or redrawing by your partner on joint accounts.
  3. Keep a diary of the circumstances of your relationship and separation, including dates and details of your living arrangements, key incidents and your employment histories.
  4. If you have children, make sure you keep an accurate record of the parenting arrangements between you and your partner, both before and after separation.
  5. Make a list of any finances, real property and other assets that you and partner jointly and separately own, as well as details of any companies, joint ventures, trusts or partnerships in which you or your partner have an interest.
  6. Change passwords on your bank accounts, phone account(s) email account and internet account.
  7. Take copies of important documents, including:
    1. Birth and Marriage certificates;
    2. Financial documents such as tax returns, pay slips, bank statements, superannuation statements, etc; and
    3. Registration and insurance certificates for various assets.
  8. Copy your computer hard drive onto an external hard drive, including personal files and photos and store the external hard drive in a location other than your primary or previously shared place of residence.
  9. Ensure that you have professional emotional support, whether by a counsellor, pastor or doctor.
  10. Obtain legal advice, the earlier the better.

Related Articles

Talk to us today

We seek to deliver Just, Redemptive Outcomes®